It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ] 
 Urban Iditarod 

Post Urban Iditarod
FYI - Registration for Portland's Urban Iditarod is tonight.

I remember years past when the High Rollers had a cart. Could be a good opportunity for promotion if PMRD had a cart, definitely reaching a crowd of Portlanders who enjoy alternative activities...

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:58 am

Post Re: Urban Iditarod
What date is the Urban Iditarod being held?

~Demon

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:19 pm
Profile YIM WWW

http://www.keepportlandweird.org/urbaniditarod/

Saturday, February 25th. Typically starts at 10-11 am, ends at 3-4pm or whenever.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:32 pm

I'm assuming we wouldn't be allowed to wear skates... which is a bummer. ;)

~Demon

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:47 pm
Profile YIM WWW

WHY WOULD YOU ASSUME THAT?!?!?! Have you seen the Urban Iditarod? I did it in a pair of boxer shorts and a bathrobe one year.

The High Rollers back in 2009 did it on skates. This thing is in no way a real race. No winners, no losers, just people drinking and pushing shopping carts around Portland. Its great!

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:02 pm

I stand corrected! So registration opens tonight... when does it close?

~Demon

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Its usually full within 2 minutes of registration opening. Be ready to hit the 'Register!' button AT 10pm on the dot..

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Unfortunately, we'll all be at practice on the track at 10:00pm tonight.

~Demon

Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Carpe Demon wrote:
Unfortunately, we'll all be at practice on the track at 10:00pm tonight.

~Demon

That's why god made laptops portable. Can it be done via one of you guys' smart phones? I'd be forever grateful if you can sign us up for this. Also in spring and summer are Starlight parade and Adult soapbox derby races. I believe both of those register in the next few weeks also. I'll see what I can find on those two.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:26 pm

Do we have enough people for a team? I can't run very well, but I would be willing to participate as long as we did it on skates. Next and Determinator, you are definitely in?

~Demon

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:51 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Carpe Demon wrote:
Do we have enough people for a team? I can't run very well, but I would be willing to participate as long as we did it on skates. Next and Determinator, you are definitely in?

~Demon

Quote:
Start thinking about training your dogs, the 2012 Urban Iditarod will be held on Saturday, February 25. The Registration will open at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday, January 15. The event is open to 100 teams only. Teams are limited to five people (one musher and four dogs). The cost per team is $60.

New for 2012 we will be holding a best costume/cart contest. All teams will receive information on how to participate at the captain's meeting. There is also a new cool 2012 shirt design. It will be posted here soon and will be available for purchase at online registration and at the team captain's meeting.

Lead Dog

Hell yes, I'm in. I already have the custom shopping cart idea machine churning away. I'll bet you a dollar we will have more then enough guys wanting to do it. I see another oprotunity for Weird in Portland and/or news coverage too. If, by chance, we can't score a slot, we need to find a team to support so we can participate on some level.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:43 pm

Um, now that I've read the link, registration started last sunday. sign us up now, Demon.

Ok, more info on next page reads: HomeRegister
The 2012 Portland Urban Iditarod will be held on Saturday, February 25. The link to registration will be posted right here. Registration will begin at 12:01 a.m. on Sunday, January 15 10:00 p.m. on Thursday, January 19. with the first time lined out.

Now I've looked at a couple pics too. Oh yeah, we can rock this thing.

Last edited by Next of Ken on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:45 pm
Site Admin

Determinator wrote:
The High Rollers back in 2009 did it on skates.

They also injured themselves pretty epically. It was right before championships that year and at least three of them mangled themselves so well at the iditarod they couldn't skate in the bout.

I'd be up for it.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:45 pm

Next of Ken wrote:
Um, now that I've read the link, registration started last sunday. sign us up now, Demon.

The registratation date got pushed back -- what Determinator posted is right, registration opens at 10pm tonight. if you go to the registration page, it tells you that you can't sign up until 10pm tonight.

~Demon

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW

I'm in! I've wanted to do it for the past 2 years, but always had to work.

hallelujah for night shift!

Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Carpe Demon wrote:

~Demon

Here's the deal. I have a team I participate with every year, and we did manage to get a registration ($60). However, this is taking place on the same day as a bout (BNB v HH), so I am not sure yet what my plan is. Typically I am passed out by the evening of a good Iditarod, so I would have to tone it down (lame) this year. If my team is still up for the race, I will be with them, but if not, I will skate with PMRD.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:23 am

Registration filled up within 8 minutes flat. Crap. Oh well, next year...

~Demon

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:08 am
Profile YIM WWW

1) If my team doesn't end up going (will keep you posted), I would be willing to sell my registration to PMRD.

2) TONS of teams go without registering. You just need to know someone who did so you can get the start time and location

Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 am

I am def in if we can do it and agree to pay my portion of the entry if the league cannot fund. It's in Feb (right?) so like as not it will be wet so skates may not be an option anyway. Determinator, keep us posted on options, thank you.

in the future, we need to identify other events like this and have a plan in place well in advance of registration to avoid the shut-out.

Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:14 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 19 posts ]