It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:46 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Outside geocache skate 

Post Outside geocache skate
During today's RCR skate-a-thon, I took my GPS with me and noticed several geocaches along the route. Is anyone interested in doing catching a few geocaches as a skating event during Quadtastrophe?

Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:39 pm
Site Admin

Post Re: Outside geocache skate
I think that could be a great addition to the outdoor skating line-up!

...though in my experience a lot of physical caches tend to be hidden off-trail in places that wont be easily reached by skates- skating through mud & brambles aint fun. Worth doing some recon on the cache locations and choosing carefully. I have a GPS (archaic as it is) I'd be happy to loan for this effort.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:16 am

I know were a few are, and I could plant a few specifically for Quadtastrophy, and it will get broadcasted to the geocache community. I'll research and send you a proposal to combine it with the 9 mile spring water trail loop.

Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:55 pm

FW, It sounds fun and almost like a treasure hunt which would be really awesome. Can you use GPS on your phone for this?

Holy Roll'N Empire
Bridgetown Menace

ChadSmoot@gmail.com | 214-417-5815

Facebook: Captain Obvious
Twitter: Chad Smoot

Be the change you want to see.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:05 am

captain obvious wrote:
FW, It sounds fun and almost like a treasure hunt which would be really awesome. Can you use GPS on your phone for this?

Yes, Geocache is a world wide treasuring hunting game played with GPS. I'm going to plant a series of geocaches along the 9 mile loop with Quadtastrophe theme. I may even see if I can get some Oaks Rink gift cards from Becky to hide in one or more caches.

I have the Geocache app for the iPhone and it works great. Speed says he has a GPS that we can use also. Does anyone else have a GPS we can use for this event? I'd like to have at least 3 (including iPhone app).

Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:33 am

I've got a blackberry with GPS, I'll see if ?I can sync it up. What is the geocache site?

Holy Roll'N Empire
Bridgetown Menace

ChadSmoot@gmail.com | 214-417-5815

Facebook: Captain Obvious
Twitter: Chad Smoot

Be the change you want to see.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:00 pm

It sounds cool, but staring at my iPhone while skating the trail sounds as dangerous as staring at my iPhone while biking. (i.e. not paying attention)

How does it work? Does it activate by sound the closer you get? If you could wear headphones and have it beep at you as you got closer, that would eliminate the need to stare at your phone while skating...

~Demon

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:11 pm
Profile YIM WWW

captain obvious wrote:
I've got a blackberry with GPS, I'll see if ?I can sync it up. What is the geocache site?

http://www.geocaching.com/

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:16 pm

Carpe Demon wrote:
It sounds cool, but staring at my iPhone while skating the trail sounds as dangerous as staring at my iPhone while biking. (i.e. not paying attention)

How does it work? Does it activate by sound the closer you get? If you could wear headphones and have it beep at you as you got closer, that would eliminate the need to stare at your phone while skating...

~Demon

You don't need to stare at your GPS while skating. It is basically used as a compass that will point you to lat/long coordinates. I believe my iPhone geocache app does beep when you get close to a cache; I'll look into that.

Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:21 pm
Site Admin

Carpe Demon wrote:
staring at my iPhone while skating the trail sounds as dangerous as staring at my iPhone while biking. (i.e. not paying attention)

This is why Samsung created the ridiculous Road SMS app! It's actually pretty friggin' hilarious- and needs to be adapted as the background option for all other apps.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:53 am

Here they are...

Quadtastrophe #1
N 45 28.299
W 122 39.671
High Rollers!
Near the home of the Rose City Rollers and Portland Men's Roller Derby, the High Rollers cache is dedicated to this past season's champions. Anything on wheels at this location can be considered a high roller. Please sign and date the log book.
First to Find: Choose from new socks or toe shields or a PMRD sicker.
Hint: Over... under... reach up high.

Quadtastrophe #2
N 46 28.861
W 122 39.273
You crack me up!
There are no cracks on the skating trail, but there sure are a lot of cracks around this cache. Please sign and date the log book.
First to Find: Choose from new socks or toe shields or a PMRD sticker.
Hint: Go under and then look up.

Quadtastrophe #3
N 46 28.206
W 122 39.258
A family that skates together... stays together!
Placed in a perfect roller skating neighborhood. The City of Portland just repaved sevearl main streets in this neighborhood to make roller skating even better. This cache is placed on private property with the permission of the owners, so please step lightly.
First to Find: Choose from new socks or toe shields or a PMRD sticker.
Hint: If you see a classic car, then you are close; this pole has bean standing here way too long.

Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:00 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 11 posts ]